The purpose of the principles is to achieve a greater connection between staff, learners and the public, and to help everyone engage in higher education to do the following:
- Clarify the characteristics of patient supported quality improvement in education and research;
- Ensure that staff, learner and public voices are heard and valued;
- Identify principles for practice;
- Share emerging best practice and core principles for practice;
- Provide links to further information, guidance and networks;
- Contribute to a culture shift that moves public engagement and partnership away from being a tokenistic gesture.